The Ground Up Magazine


Originally, this issue of “On the Edge” was tentatively titled “I” is for “INK” Park III. I had planned on sharing the biography of Christina with you. But instead of re-printing a story that had been submitted, I have decided to put her abilities to the test. My own test.

After several more visits to the shop since my last interview with her, we had arranged to meet for drinks at Lucille’s in downtown Johnstown last Wednesday night. We talked about the conversation we had earlier that day with the producers of a reality TV show. With the current working title “The Tattoo Medium.” It was to be filmed on location at the shop here in Johnstown. Christina will star in this show, as it incorporates both her gift of tattoo artistry and her very special gift as a spiritual medium.

The club was exceptionally quiet on this night as a light rain fell outside. I slowly enticed Christina to do a walk-through of the first floor of the building, and for her to share with me her spiritual impressions. This particular building was built very shortly after the 1889 flood, around 1890.



As we got up from our seats near the front entrance of the bar, she said that she detected a lot of movement originating from the back and leading out through the front door. She asked if there was a back door, and I said yes, and showed her where the original back door to the building was, and then the second back door that led out onto the deck and then into the rear alley from an addition that was later added on to the building. A very early postcard of the first floor shows a bar, very similar to the present one, with a dining room in the back. Logically, patrons would enter through the front door on Washington Street, then take a seat at the bar or in the dining room, then exit through the back door. Through over a 100 year history, I have heard some very colorful stories of various happenings both on the first floor and the two floors above the bar.

When we walked to the end of the present bar, where the DJ booth now is, I asked her what she saw or felt while standing in this spot. She kept looking at the ceiling and then looking down again. She paused for a moment, and then said she sees some kind of pulley, and some kind of ropes attached to it. She said that she could not quite explain the reason for this. Again, through historic pictures, I told her that the DJ booth stands where the kitchen once was, and there was a rope/pulley system there that operated a “dumb waiter” to deliver food to the second and third floors for hotel guests above.  

During this whole tour, she kept asking me if someone had died in one of the rooms above, a female, and I told her no, not that I was aware of such a happening. Then we walked out to the deck area, and I asked her to touch the adjoining brick building. She said that the building was giving off a lot of energy, and it was not good. Also remember, Christina has lived most of her life in Orlando, Florida. She was not even born yet when the July 20, 1977 flood had occurred. She knows very little to absolutely nothing about the history of or the downtown area of Johnstown. 

When we were outside on the deck area, she said that she saw many letters flying past her. Very many. I explained that on the other side of the alley of the fenced-in deck was the Johnstown post office, and thousands of letters get sorted there each day at the rear of the building, slightly below street level.


We then continued back through the bar and exited through the front door onto Washington Street. When we got outside, she kept looking up to the second floor of the building, saying that she kept seeing a female holding her chest while looking out of the lower left side window. She asked me again if someone had died there, and I told her no. I actually wanted to know what her impressions of the building next door was, and led her to the 512 Washington Street address. I knew some of the history of that building and what had happened there, but did not discuss any of it with her.  

As we approached the front of the building, I asked her to place her hands on it. She did, and then quickly backed away from it, literally bumping into a parked car trying to get away from the front of the building as fast as she could. She explained that there was extreme energy that was being thrown off by the building, and it was not good. I asked her what she saw, and she first said a pulley and ropes or chains. I knew that there was, and told still is, a hoist or pulley system at the far right inside of the building. She then described an arm, or “L” shaped structure or mechanism as a pulley, but not inside of the building. Later when we approached the rear of the building, a bat flew from the rear of Lucille’s patio area and across the back of the 512 Washington Street building as we watched it heading into the nighttime sky. We both looked up, and we saw the structure pictured below attached to the roof at the far rear loading dock.


At that point, with her almost in tears, I pushed her harder. I asked her if she sees the owner of the building, or perhaps what his name was. She kept saying the letter “S” and stated that she saw this person constantly rubbing or pulling his right thumb and index finger down his face, around his mouth, possibly because he had facial hair or a long mustache.

Her concentration was constantly being interrupted by a girl she said is holding her chest and looking at her from the lower left window of Lucille’s building, insisting that she had passed more recently than the man in the 512 building. Again, I told her of no such occurrence that I knew of.

After this emotional drain of nearly 50 minutes, I told her of what I knew happened at this site. Please remember that Christina was not even born before July 20, 1977. She had heard of there being a flood around 1977 in Johnstown, but did not know any details. Also, she had no way of knowing that I was going to ask her any questions that evening about anything. The entire event was actually kind of unplanned. Earlier that day, my partner Eric was at the shop getting work done on his new tattoo, Christina asked if we were going to go out for a drink that evening, and Eric said that we might go to Lucille’s, and told her she was welcome to join us if she did. Later, we decided to go, and Eric sent her a text that we would be there around 10:30. Later, Eric was tired and did not feel well, so he backed out at last moment and I went myself. 

As mentioned above, I already knew of some of the happenings that took place at both the 512 and 520 addresses on Washington Street. When I got home late Wednesday night, I googled “Royal Plate Glass, Johnstown, PA,” for I had known the business and owner at the 512 address. I was hoping to perhaps find out some more information or a photograph that I had not seen before. And I did. Thirty years after the July 20, 1977 Johnstown flood, The Johnstown Tribune Democrat did a series of stories called “Faces of the Flood.” One of these stories appeared on June 20, 2007 titled: “It’s Tough to Survive.” I will not edit the newspaper text, and also please remember, I have most of the 50 minute encounter with Christina still on my voice recorder. With sincere gratitude to my hometown paper, the story is as follow.

And one more thought for you to ponder. After Christina had left Lucille’s on Wednesday night, I asked Chad, the bartender, if he had ever heard of anyone dying in the building. He immediately responded, “Yes,” I asked where, and he pointed straight up, saying a young women named Chrissy died in apartment 1, the unit with the window on the lower left corner of the second floor. I again asked him last night to confirm this, and he said, “Yep! The ambulance came and rolled the dead body out of the apartment, down the steps, and took her away.”

(Thank you Christina for sharing your amazing gift with me and for the readers of this column.)